POSITION SUMMARY: The Operating Room Registered Nurse is that professional who is directly responsible for coordinating intra-operative care of the patient and indirectly responsible through coordination and information sharing of both pre- and post-operative care.
Education, Licensure and Certification:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and currently licensed to practice in the State as a Registered Nurse
- Must maintain BLS/ACLS/PALS
- Two (2) years’ experience surgical nursing preferred
- Scrub and circulating experience preferred
- Must be able to Sit, stand, and walk continually
- Frequently bend, climb, reach overhead, carry/push or pull up to 25 pounds, grasping/squeezing
- Occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, lift, carry, push or pull up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to speak and hear normal auditory levels
Mental: Stamina to withstand stress and strain. Good memory, patient and tactful. Emotional stability. Able to both listen and direct. Skill in organization.
Mathematical skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, decimals, and percentages.
Language skills: Ability to understand, read, write, and speak English. Ability to effectively present information, respond to questions, and professionally interact with managers, employees, clients, vendors, and the general public.
Reasoning ability: Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and correct errors. Ability to think critically using inductive and deductive reasoning.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of general nursing theory and practice, including basic disciplines, relating to nursing such as biological, physical, social and medical sciences and their application to patient care
- Current knowledge of nursing theory and perioperative nursing care in the freestanding ambulatory surgery unit
- Adequate understanding of a wide variety of medical/surgical pathophysiology, operative procedure and required patient preparations
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to implement principles of aseptic technique
- Understanding of proper positioning techniques
- Knowledge of surgical instruments and equipment to include the use, handling and care
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, techniques, symptoms and complications of surgery, anesthesia and consequent nursing interventions
- Knowledge of actions of pharmaceuticals and anesthetic agents
- Able to recognize emergency situations and assist in corrective actions
- Have a working knowledge of fluid and electrolyte balances
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, philosophies, standards, goals and objectives of ambulatory surgery and especially those pertaining to the operating room
- Skilled in age-based competencies
- Knowledge of the underlying principles of treatment and nursing procedures
- Able to approach his/her responsibilities with a bio, psycho, social, and technical approach incorporating those theories with the learned principles underlying treatment and nursing care
- Able to organize and prioritize assignments, duties and responsibilities
- Must be organized, flexible and versatile with the ability to function effectively in stressful situations
- Must be able to accept and profit from instruction and constructive criticism and follow through to effect change
- Must be able to recognize limitations and seek help or advice as needed
- Able to identify, analyze and implement effective problem-solving techniques
JOB RELATIONSHIP: Is directly responsible to the Operating Room Manager. Does not supervise any other employees.
Monday through Friday 4 X 10 hour shifts with rotating day off or 3 x 10 hour shifts with rotating day off. Over five weeks of paid time off and excellent benefit package.
Wage: Min. $37.79 / Mid. $50.65 / Max. $68.15
Applicants email cover letter and resume (PDF or DOCX format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include subject line, “Operating Room RN.” Position open until filled